Family situations

  • I am single, without children

    Do not select survivors’ cover. Execute a waiver of family pension benefits.  State the name of the individual who is to be the beneficiary of the TGL benefits.

  • I have a cohabitant

    A cohabitant cannot receive family pension. Refrain from receiving family pension to, instead, receive a larger amount as your own pension. If you require survivors’ cover for your cohabitant, select family cover/repayment cover.

  • I am married 

    Your wife/husband automatically receives the survivors’ cover you have chosen. If your wife/husband earns more than you, you can consider eliminating the survivors’ cover in order to receive a larger amount as your own pension.

  • I was married after I turned 60

    In order to ensure that your wife/husband  receive the pension benefits after your demise, you should have been married at least five years or have had a child/children together.

  • I am the parent of small children

    As long as the children are small, it could be beneficial to choose survivors’ cover so that the family members receive pension benefits if you should pass away.

  • I am the parent of children with their own income

    When the children are economically independent, it could be beneficial to eliminate the survivors’ cover and ensure that you, yourself, receive a larger amount as your own pension.

  • I am divorced

    When you divorce, there are no changes in your ITP but if you have, for example, signed a form regarding special beneficiary provisions, it could be advisable that you sign a new form if you do not wish to have your former wife/husband as the beneficiary in case you die.

  • I am on parental leave

    Contact the personnel department at your employer when you are to be on parental leave. You can, of course, receive compensation from your employer in addition to parents’ allowance which you receive from the Swedish Social Insurance Administration. For those of you with ITP 1, the premiums are paid for your occupational pension insurance as usual. It is not your employer who makes the payments but they are paid through your insurance cover. For those of you with ITP 2, it is up to the employer to choose if you are to receive the premiums paid in during parental leave. You can find out if you have ITP 1 or ITP 2 here.